Wednesday, October 18

Fill in the Blank Week


For the lines (shown below), I decided to use each of them in fact for teeth on this carved pumpkin that I did for my fables theme on Instagram last week. So, it was actually in time for what would have been our picnic except for the delay! Funny things is, I've never actually carved a pumpkin myself. This is as close as I've ever come as we never did Halloween growing up in UK.  BTW, I used a manuscript pen with India ink and painted the brown background using Bombay ink and water — all a first for me!

Originally carved out turnips & gourds, the Jack-o-lantern dates back to a Victorian Irish fable about a wretched drunkard, Stingy Jack, who was left to roam the earth damned because of his life of deceitfulness & excessive drink. 

Sign up below and show us how you imagined the rest of the space. I should tell you too, I'm in an all-week meeting with work stuff where most evenings run quite late so will likely not be able to visit everyone until end of the week, sorry, but definitely will do so at some point! Thanks for playing along though. Can't wait to see what each of you do!

P.S. Reminder, here's the choice of lines from which we were to choose...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**New themes will be posted later this evening!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I almost did a pumpkin, but not as beautifully detailed as yours, wonderful piece Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfectly scary and appropriate, Micheal. I love how you can go from one medium to another. I haven't been able to move myself away from colored pencil sketching yet. I know I will at some point, but not having any knowledge on the use of pastels or paints, it is a little daunting. This was a hard prompt ... I love a challenge :) Have a great week, Micheal ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy looking at this one Michael. It is so full of the feeling of autumn. Scary, windy, mysterious, movement, different light. Fabulous. Hope your meetings go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was going for. Thank you for noticing, Tammie.

      Delete
  4. Brrrr! I think I'll just head on inside for a cup of hot cocoa!

    Looks like there's a nice variety of interpretations from what I've seen so far. We appreciate your visits, whenever they happen. Work definitely needs to be a priority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With priorities taken care of, I am BACK! And visiting everyone now. :) I like the idea of some cocoa right about now too, btw.

      Delete
  5. I love your sketch! :) I always knew the tale as Jack of the Lantern! :) I love the creepiness and the fable theme, which is right up my alley! I hope I have time today to get something done because I have a great creepy idea me'self! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, can't wait to see it and noticed you did indeeed sign something up. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I saw this on Instagram and loved it! The detail, the tendrils and those teeth are wonderful touches...nice take for the theme, Michael. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the pumpkin looks a bit scary though well drawn, perfect usage of the lines.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Miss you on this week's Boo theme but am hoping perhaps you will sign up later tonight? :) One can always hope.

      Delete
  8. You have a wonderful way of adding coolness to creepy. I am totally enjoying your Inktober fable characters. Great choice of theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorraine! I love how you said, "adding coolness to creepy." We try to do that with our cosplay costuming too. For example, we were vintage 1930's French clowns, no blood or such, but still kind of creepy in a cool cool silent movie way. :) It's that need to always push myself to express creatively, I suppose...especially as actually I am really not terribly in to halloween myself, believe it or not. Lol.

      Delete
  9. I'm loving the topsy turvy angle here Michael - the feeling of a quite turbulent night on the outskirts of the usually silent pumpkin patch. He is scary - I see a great Halloween card in the making!

    Happy day - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael, any new Wednesday themes whirling in your head under that beautiful curly hair?
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michael,

    Just wondering what this prompt is for the 25th? Or do we get another extension?

    Cheers,
    Serena :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still need to visit everyone! Please hold tight. New themes are up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael,
    Taking a break and doing some writing, editing and painting. Will return sometime.
    Blessings
    Janis

    ReplyDelete